Monday, April 7, 2008

Chicago 10 Animated Feature Film

Chicago 10 is a 2007 partly animated film written and directed by Brett Morgen and tells the story of the Chicago Seven. The film features the voices of Hank Azaria, Dylan Baker, Nick Nolte, Mark Ruffalo, Roy Scheider, Liev Schreiber, and Jeffrey Wright in an animated reenactment of the trial based on transcripts and rediscovered audio recordings. It also contains archive footage of David Dellinger, Abbie Hoffman, William Kunstler, Jerry Rubin, Bobby Seale, and Leonard Weinglass, and of the protest and riot itself. The title is drawn from a quote by Rubin, who said, "Anyone who calls us the Chicago Seven is a racist. Because you're discrediting Bobby Seale. You can call us the Chicago Eight, but really we're the Chicago Ten, because our two lawyers went down with us." [1]

It premiered January 18, 2007 at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival. It later premiered at Silverdocs, the AFI/Discovery Channel Documentary Festival in Downtown Silver Spring. The film opened in limited release in the United States on February 29, 2008.

This film is a must see and i have been following it's development for a while now. You can find more clips on youtube by typing in Chicago 10. I encourage all to see this film and support this filmmaker!

3 comments:

The Red Son said...

Brett Morgan and I share an alma matter and the film was screened no campus when I was in the area a while back. It wasn't free so I didn't attend out of principle but now that I have seen the preview/trailer I wish I had.

blackstone said...

That's cool you stuck to your principles(which is that?) but you'll have plenty of chances to see it i suppose. Shouldnt be too long before its somewhere on the internet, if you don't want to purchase.

The Red Son said...

I don't mind paying for to see a movie but I do mind paying my old college money after 4 years of exorbitant tution.